Olympic Equestrian Centre of Markopoulo
The facility is located at Mesogeia, 36 km. east of Athens, at a short distance south of the airport “Eleftherios Venizelos”. It can be easily reached by car and it should be mentioned that numerous luxurious hotels are within a short range.
The facilities were developed in order to host the Jumping and Dressage competitions during the Olympic Games of 2004.
- Total land area: 1.029.279,62 sq. mtrs.
- Total built area: 33.099,60 sq. mtrs.
Permitted Land Uses:
- Jumping Arena, Dressage Arena, Covered Arena (Jumping/Dressage), Cross Country Arena
- VIPs Building (offices)
- Auxiliary Arenas
- Parking Lot
- Auxiliary Facilities
According to the Greek Law 3342/2005, the following land uses are permitted, apart from the uses established for the sake of the Olympic Games of 2004 in Athens:
- Zone 1 (110.000 sq. mtrs. approximately): Checkpoint with wc, ticket offices, golf course.
- Zone 2 (520.000 sq. mtrs. approximately): Equestrian centre with outdoor arenas, stables, warehouses, veterinary clinic, indoor arena, management offices, equestrian museum, equestrian schools, retail shops concerning equestrian accessories as well as gear, exhibitions, dining, auctions, hotel, heliport, golf course, parking lot.
- Zone 3 (400.000 sq. mtrs. approximately): Park suitable for triathlon, recreational riding, golf course.